Detroit House of Correction, Women's Division (1928-1977) stood near this property. It was a series of eight cottages designed by Albert Kahn as a "prison without bars". It was the only prison in Michigan just for women.
Stinson Aircraft Corp. (1926-1929). Started by Eddie Stinson in 1926 in Detroit, Stinson Aircraft built airplanes in downtown Northville then towed the fuselage and wings to a hangar at 6 Mile and Beck where they were assembled and flown to their buyers. From 1926-1929 Stinson planes were the state of the art in aviation. Stinson Aircraft was sold to the Cord Corporation in 1929 and moved to Wayne, MI
Wayne County Training School (1926-1974) was a home for developmentally disabled children at 5 Mile and Sheldon. Some of the early research on learning disabilities was done at the Training School. The school closed in 1974 and the buildings were demolished in 1998.
Meads Mill (1830s-1857), was built in the 1830s on Mill Street east of Northville Road. It was the largest flour mill in the state. Waterford, a village larger than Plymouth or Northville sprung up around it. The mill burned in 1857 causing the decline of the community.
The water-powered Ford Gauge Plant (1925-1954) was opened in 1925 on Northville Road at Mill Street. Henry Ford employed Swedish immigrants to produce Johannson gauge blocks, known as the world’s standard of measurement at the time. Ford sold the building in 1954. It was one of 19 small Ford Village Industry plants built in southeast Michigan.
Maybury Sanatorium (1919-1969), home of a tuberculosis hospital, occupied 40 buildings between 7 & 8 Mile Roads at Beck & Napier. It was built by the City of Detroit so patients could recover in pure country air. It became the site of Maybury State Park in 1975 after its closure.
Farm Crest Dairy was originally the largest farm in the Township, accounting for over 1,000 acres on both sides of Six Mile Road. The dairy was destroyed by fire on November 2, 1965. The farm site was redeveloped into the Lakes of Northville subdivision, located on the north side of 6 Mile at Winchester Road.
The Detroit United Railways (DUR) began its trolley service in 1899, eventually providing service from Bay City to Toledo to Port Huron and Grand Rapids, including Northville residents. It was once a national leader of mass transit with over 500 miles of railways. It ceased to exist because of personal automobile ownership and was halted in 1927.
The Northville ski jump was built by the Detroit-Northville Ski Club in the fall of 1923 and appears to have originally been 50 feet high. It was rebuilt and added on to, according to various newspaper reports, bringing the total height to 90 feet before closing in 1926. The location today would be near Seven Mile Road and Edward Hines Drive.
Copyright © 2018 Northville Township Historic Fund - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy